What is FTTH and how does it work?
Fibre to the home (FTTH) is the delivery of a communications signal over optical fibre from the operator's switching equipment all the way to a home, thereby replacing existing copper infrastructure such as telephone wires. Fibre to the home is a relatively new and fast growing method of providing vastly higher (up to 250 times faster) bandwidth to consumers, and thereby enabling more robust internet, television, security and voice services.
An optical fibre is a highly transparent strand of glass as thin as a human hair. The light in a fibre-optic cable travels through the core by a principle called total internal reflection. Because the cladding does not absorb any light from the core, the light wave can travel great distances at the speed of light.
Why is fibre better?
Fibre is greener and Fibre is also more durable than copper and will last longer. The raw materials to make them are plentiful (silicon from sand) whereas copper supplies are dwindling. Fibre is clearer and Fibre wont' lose the signal the way copper does and because light signals don't interfere with other fibres in the same cable, you get clearer conversations. Fibre optic cables are safe from lighting strikes or electrical interference. Future smart homes will require fast reliable broadband and fibre supports a host of new services.
We supply affordable high-speed broadband connectivity to homes and / or businesses and / or Estates and / or Business Parks. We install and operate an open access fibre network. This means any accredited service provider may make use of the fibre infrastructure to supply services to you. This gives you the flexibility to choose your favourite Internet Service Provider to cater for your internet needs. You can choose the layered service and package that is right for you. It is also easy to switch from poor performing providers.
VoIP (Telephony Services)
VoIP is an acronym for Voice over Internet Protocol, or in more common terms phone service over the Internet. Cut your telephone bill with fast connectivity making calls from your home is up to 30% cheaper and crystal clear quality.
What can you do with Fibre to the Home?
When Broadband comes to you via fibre optic cable rather than regular copper telephone wires, it gives you more bandwidth, so everyone can do their thing online at the same time. Say goodbye to buffering, FOREVER!!
Here are some of the other things you can do :
- Download games and apps faster
- Upload photos to Facebook faster
- Skype friends and family around the world in high quality
- Access your cloud apps faster
- Download music and movies faster
- Turn your building into a smart building and remotely manage your life!
- Stream TV over the Internet all at the same time to multiple devices
- And if you are still not convinced – get on the Internet (yip, much faster) and see the benefits fibre has for the environment over copper. NO MORE MINING! EVER!!
@Home Fibre Connectivity:
Optical Fibre Access from 4Mbps to 100Mbps
- Entertainment packages
- Voice over IP (VoIP)
- Vodafone Cloud
- Connected Home Services
- Educational Portal
Zero upfront investment
Vodacom covers the cost of Fibre layout within the community
The cost to connect your home is dependant on who the infrastructure provider is (the company who installed the fibre in the street)
So how fast is fast?
Up to 100Mbps broadband connection makes light work of even the heftiest downloads:
- A whole music album (60MB) in 5 seconds
- A TV show (350MB) in 30 seconds
- A high quality movie (1GB) in 1½ minutes
- An HD movie (4GB) in 6 minutes
Data use doubles every year. New services emerge that require proper bandwidth. It will become progressively difficult for any technology, other than fibre, to support the future demands for speed and capacity we need.
Rolling out a fibre network makes it possible for CCTV camera's (Infra-red and Thermal) to be placed throughout the community. CCTV cameras are known to reduce crime and can play a significant role in improving the overall security in the areas they cover. With Fibre the high quality live feeds from the CCTV cameras are taken back to a central location via the fibre network. The live feeds enable appointed security providers to offer live monitoring of the areas
covered as well as other services such as number plate and facial recognition.
Smart metering (Layered Services)
Turn your house into a smart home. Measure water and electricity use. Remotely control devices, lights and Video appliances in your home.
More desirable homes
Another benefit of FTTH is the impact that it can have on the value of your property. FTTH will increase the desirability of your suburb and your home. The latest research shows a clear link between broadband speeds and house price value. Recent studies have indicated that connecting your
home fibre will increase your property value up to R 70 000
Digital and Analogue television (RF) signals are centrally distributed over the fibre network to each individual unit or property. This enables you, the user to gain access to all Free-to-Air (SABC and e.TV) and DStv signals. The individual user is however responsible for their service subscription for DStv, their own decoder and TV license with the SABC.
Fibre also offers cutting edge services such as Video on Demand and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV) Video on Demand is a service where movie entertainment is readily available from the comfort of your living room. At the quick push of a button, you will be able to request and view movies and other entertainment. IPTV revolutionises your TV experience with interactive capabilities. IPTV is a system through which high quality digital television services is delivered to the user, using IP based network infrastructure instead of the traditional satellite broadcast formats.
Our Value Offering
- No More Individual Satellite Dishes or Aerials
- A central satellite dish and aerial is commissioned at our server room, which eliminates the costly exercise of having to install individual outdoor terrestrial and satellite dish equipment at the user's home. This also contributes to the aesthetics of the development.
- VoIP (Telephone Services)
- Make calls from your home over the internet at up to 30% cheaper with crystal clear voice quality.
- Free Internal Calls
- All users can contact one another free of charge within the development and/or to the security guard house.
- Cost Effective Service
Our Fibre offering provides last mile, point-to-point connectivity for data and voice networks via secure and dedicated circuits with minimum latency and optional full redundancy. With the business needs and demands of organisations continually changing, our fibre solution has been designed to deliver fast, uninterrupted and dedicated connectivity with high reliability for maximum performance of business-critical applications. As one of the providers of fibre optic connectivity, our solution is what your business and/or Estate needs. Get in touch with us to find out more.
- High bandwidth and low latencies over a separate uncontended network
- Fully redundant network that is quick to deploy
- Scalable solution to grow with your business needs
- 24/7 support offered by our Call Centres
- Fixed Line Voice
- Free Installation*
- Video on demand
- Educational Portal
- Home Hotspot (Wi-Fi)
- Cloud Backup and Storage
- Television signal over fibre
- Keep your telephone number
- Property value growth of up to R70 000